Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Guarding the Food

Here's another bird picture since Bozette liked the last one.

These birds look quite serious about keeping everyone else away. The two birds--I think they're Martins but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong--are quite aggressive and are effective at keeping smaller birds at bay. The coloring on the birds is quite striking and even more so when the sun hits them directly.

UPDATE: CyberCelt helped me with my lack of ornithological knowledge. Those birds are Grackles, not Martins. Thanks, CyberCelt!

6 Comments:

Blogger Lana said...

Yes I did and this one is awesome also.
I don't know why but birds to me are just amazing animals.

11:02 AM  
Blogger CyberCelt said...

Those birds are Grackles. They are the bullies of the bird world.

If you want to see song birds and other small birds, you need to run the off.

We use a BB gun. Do not shoot them, but fire off a shot to scare them.

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, CyberCelt. I'd heard the name "Grackle" before but never realized this is what they look like. The feathers are pretty but they're a little too crow-like.

Bozette, what I like best about birds is how much they remind me of reptiles. All those quick head movements and that sort of thing...

11:21 AM  
Blogger Full Metal Attorney said...

I saw almost this exact same scene earlier today. The same kind of birds were on our feeder, which looks a lot like this one.

3:44 PM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

I love the story surrounding this image. It's like a little self-contained drama.

Lovely, as always. You have such an eye!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Unique Designs from Zazzle said...

nice photo - quite territorial aren't they?

1:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home