Sunday, October 07, 2007

All coiled up and hissin'


Isn't that fellow a beauty? He was on the Cox Mountain trail when Julie and I were trudging our way slowly up the mountain. We both took a well appreciated breather and made friends with the handsome guy. I don't know much about snakes, but I'm assuming it's a Black Snake.


Fortunately Julie isn't skittish around snakes 'cause as you can tell better here, this guy is big. The trees and such make it easier to judge scale. I think it was 6 feet long but it's more than possible that I'm exaggerating. The length of a snake is as subject to exaggeration as the size of fish--and the end of the story is invariably "but he got away". Besides, guys are notoriously bad judges of length.


Here's what the cutie looked like when I'd followed him a little ways in the woods. I think this was his way of saying that he wanted some alone time. As you can probably guess, at this point I became quite willing to give him more privacy!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger flleenie said...

You are brave! I hate snakes! They give me the shivers!!!

Michele sent me

3:03 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

As we have no snakes whatsoever in New Zealand, I think I'd be a bit nervous about following one, since I'd have no idea whether it was dangerous or not.
Michele sent me to admire your photos tonight

4:15 AM  
Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

Yup, that's a black snake all right. I'd know one anywhere. Typically, they are black in color and adults are about six feet long - if memory serves.

Michele sent me,

Mike

5:00 AM  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I like snakes as long as the are not in touching distance. The snake seems a mysterious creature to me. Hindu mythology is filled with snkes.

As I did not want you to get missed via Michele, I dropped in here!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Paste said...

Wow, you don't get those in our local woods! Popped by from Michele's.

12:47 PM  
Blogger Shay said...

that top pic is just amazing! he looks so blue!

12:31 AM  
Blogger Garden Gnome said...

The pictures are gorgeous! Wonderful shots of wildlife in its own environment. I would have given him more privacy a bit sooner though.

7:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home